07 Jan ChiRunning Improves Running Technique and Prevents Injuries
A new running technique called ChiRunning (or ChiWalking) that teaches people how to run more naturally has been gaining in popularity recently. ChiRunning uses the fundamentals of Tai Chi to improve posture and prevent injuries.
It’s all about using gravity and the momentum of your movement so your legs aren’t pushed as hard. ChiRunning encourages people to lead with their head and upper body to stretch the legs and lower back. This relieves tension and allows people to run with less difficulty. Users of this technique say it helps them avoid injury.
Running injuries are fairly common, but can be prevented if you know how. For information about how to avoid getting hurt while running, consult a podiatrist like Dr. Donald C. Stran, DPM of Houston Foot and Ankle. Dr. Stran can teach you about proper running techniques and how to make sure you’re using good form.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. Runner’s knee usually is treated with strengthening exercises focusing on the quad muscles and sports orthotic. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned. Physical therapy can help you learn the best exercises to heal runner’s knee.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.